Saturday, January 12, 2013


On Saturday, January 5, 2013 I woke up to a familiar pain. It was the same pain that I had felt 14 weeks ago when I was going into pre-term labor. I felt like something was not right, but did not want to go to the hospital. My worst nightmare throughout the pregnancy was to go to the hospital and for them to send me home. I decided to text Dr. Bohman and ask him for advice. He advised me to go to the hospital, just to get checked. Tyson, my mom and I drove to St. Rose San Martin Hospital, where I was hooked up to a monitor for a few hours. I was dialated to a 2, contracting every 5-8 minutes and baby sounded good. They classified this as early labor. The contractions were not getting more intense, so they advised for me to go home and come back the following day to do a stress test on the baby. Because I had been contracting for 2 weeks now, they wanted to be sure it was not irritating her. 

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 we hopped back in the car and drove to the hospital for more monitoring. I was still dialated to a 2, contracting every 5-8 minutes and baby sounded good. They released me to go home and said I was now in active labor and to come back if the contractions became more intense. When we got home I texted Dr. Bohman and let him know what the hospital had said. That was when he decided to do an emergency c-section that night. He felt that I had been contracting for so long, I was not dialating, baby was not dropping and I was going to have to have a c-section whether we waited or not, so we should pull the baby immediately for the interest of mine and hers health. It was 2pm and he scheduled the c-section for 5pm. He told me to pack my bags and to meet him there. 

I freaked out! I was going to be a mom! My dream was coming true! Tyson and our friend Jeff gave me a blessing before we left. I am so grateful for the Priesthood and for the words Tyson said as he laid his hands upon my head. I was so comforted and knew that everything was going to be okay. We grabbed our bags and carseat and hopped back in the car.

We arrived at the hospital and I was so nervous! We checked in at the front desk and they gave me a cute gown to wear. I was hooked up to the very familiar monitor that I had been connected to for the past 2 days and they started my IV. Soon the doctor arrived and it was time. Tyson and I hugged our moms goodbye as we walked into the Operation Room and they went into the Waiting Room with the rest of our family.

They gave me my spinal epidural and laid me on the table. It was cold and I had the shakes pretty bad. The room was full of nurses and doctors. Tyson held my hand as they put the blue curtain up and began the operation.

The doctor began the incision and was successfully able to go through the first three layers. When he got to the fourth layer, my muscle was not effected by the epidural. I could actually FEEL them cutting me. It hurt SO bad. I said, "OW, that really hurts!" and they replied that I should only feel tugging and pulling, not pain. That was when I replied, "I can feel pain. That HURTS..." The last thing I remember is the anesthesiologist saying, "Okay dad, she is going to get really loopy and not remember anything from here on out." They put an oxygen mask on me...and I was OUT!

That was when I went to heaven. I know it sounds weird and people laugh when I say it, but I truly felt like I was in heaven. I remember being very confused and didn't know where I was or what I was doing. I felt like I was dying and I was really fighting it. Finally a light appeared and I decided to just go towards it. I was letting go and didn't care if I was dying anymore. Right when I relaxed, I heard the doctors voice. I wasn't dead. I was in a hospital. I asked, "Where is my husband?" and they replied, "He is with your baby!" and I said, "My baby is inside of me..." and they replied, "Your baby was born 20 minutes ago. You are all done, Danielle. You did great!"

Laila Marlie Davis was born at 5:18pm, weighing 8lbs 4oz and 19 inches long.

It was hard to comprehend what they were saying at this point. In the video below you will see the doctor show the baby over the curtain... I do not remember that. You will also see me kiss my baby for the first time... I do not remember that. At first I was sad that I had missed these special moments of being a mom and the first breath my baby took, but now I am just so grateful she is healthy and here. It doesn't matter how she got here... SHE IS HERE!

I soon went into the Recovery Room where I slowly woke up. Dr. Bohman came in and showed me a picture of my sweet Laila. Tears filled my eyes as I saw my miracle for the first time. The doctor wiped my tears as I fell in love with my baby girl. I couldn't wait to see her in person.

Tyson soon came in with the baby and they placed her in my arms. Words cannot describe the overwhelming feeling of love that I felt for her immediately. The dream that I had for so many years, was a reality. I was holding MY baby in MY arms. She was absolutely perfect in every way. Her skin was so soft with perfect in coloring. Her fingers and toes were perfectly small. The way she looked at me with her blue eyes melted my heart. I could not stop crying as I held her in my arms. She is my miracle.

The family soon left for the night and it was just Tyson, Laila and I. We were a family and it felt so good. I watched as Tyson held her in his arms next to the window. His eyes filled up with tears as he held her in our quiet room. We cried together as we held our sweet girl. I loved that moment and I will remember it forever. Tyson has waited so long to be a dad and has had so much patience as we have endured this trial of infertility. He is seriously the perfect dad and husband! I could not have asked for a better best friend and companion to go through this with. He changes her diapers, swaddles like a champion, gets up with her at night, holds her tightly, kisses her gently and rocks her to sleep so perfectly. He is incredible and I know that Laila already loves him so much.

It has been one week since that Sunday night. I fall more in love with Laila every single day. I absolutely love being a mom. It is everything I had ever dreamed of and more. I treasure every day with her and thank Heavenly Father for blessing me with her. I never knew the love a mother has for her child until now. I would do absolutely anything for her!

I am so grateful for trials. I am grateful that we have the opportunity every day to choose how we will endure them. I am grateful for who I am today because of this trial in my life. It has been hard. It has been tough. I have wanted to give up so many times. I hope we always remember that prayers are answered. They are answered in His timing. I hope we always remember that trials can make us stronger. They make us stronger when we allow them to. I hope we always remember that miracles do happen. They happen when we do not lose hope and faith. I hope we always remember to not give up, because the best things in life are TRULY worth waiting for! 

"Our discipleship will be developed and proven not by the TYPE of trials we are faced with, but how we ENDURE them." - Elder Daniel L Johnson 

This video is for anyone who is going through trials. We hope you share it with others who suffer from infertility or any trial that makes you feel like giving up on something. We know that anything is possible and that miracles do happen. The best things in life are truly worth waiting for. 


Chris and Chelsea said...

Awwww! So beautiful you guys! What a special, wonderful blessing!

Erin said...

So sweet. So happy for you guys!